Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Swiss chard never let any body down



I ask you, what did I eat before swiss chard? I can't make anything bad with it, what's not to love? It is great as a filling for calzones or ravioli. Perfect in quiches and completely disappears into my three year old when I toss it with hot cooked pasta and butter. But the preparation I keep coming back to is a simple saute of caramelized onion and garlic. I feel strongly that exact quantities are unimportant here. Use amounts that you enjoy. Deglaze the pan with about a third of a bottle of white wine and allow that to cook off at a high simmer for about five minutes then throw in a big handful or two of dried cherries or cranberries or raisins and let them soften in the cooking liquid. Add about a tablespoon of butter to the pan and then pile in loads of roughly torn swiss chard and just allow it to wilt and absorb some of those flavors. Turn off the heat and toss in about a cupful of toasted pecans or walnuts and the juice and zest of one large lemon. Now, you could eat that alone standing over the stove, I know, but you could also roll it into some pounded chicken breasts and bake them or mix it into a pound of ground pork for a super fancy meatloaf or do what I do, invariably. Toss the swiss chard, cherry, onion, pecan mixture with a pound of piping hot orzo, throw in some more butter, more lemon juice, a handful of chopped parsley, coarsely ground black pepper, a shake of crushed red pepper flakes and a generous grating of parmesan. That can be dinner night after night without complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment