Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Spinach


I hardly think anyone needs help thinking of a way to use spinach, but I won't let that stop me. It is so sweet and mild and versatile and completely packed with nutrition. Spinach is always in our fridge and a favorite salad green of mine. I also use it as a replacement for basil in pesto since I must hang my head in shame and admit that I do not like basil.  My husband loves it. My three year old son calls basil "eating leaves" but we can all agree on spinach. And we start the morning with it nearly every day in summer in a  gloriously green smoothie. Get out your blenders, it goes like this: Ice lots of it. Three bulging handfuls of spinach. A banana or two. Two heaping tablespoons of peanut butter, almond butter, soy nut butter, whatever blows your dress up really. Some kind of milk, almond is our favorite. Flip the switch, pour, chug, ahhhhhh. You just might be back for another at lunchtime. I cannot imagine any child turning this down. Should a little one be a bit averse to drinking something green you could tell them that it is super healthy power slime (which my boy loved) or just give it to them in an opaque cup until they're hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment