Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Sugar Snaps and Shell Peas


I never need to worry about what I'm going to do with my peas. My three year old is happy to relieve me of the task and even though the outer pod of a shell pea isn't meant to be eaten he is undaunted. However, I do know that the pods of shell peas are perfect for stashing in a bag of veggie scraps in your freezer until you collect enough odds and ends to put on a batch of stock. A vegetable stock made with peas would be wonderful base for a pea or celery soup on a deep, cold winter evening. Just toss all the veggie scraps and pods with a bit of olive oil and roast in a hot oven until they get a good bit of color and caramelization. Then cover them with water in a stock pot and simmer very gently for about three or four hours, then strain and refrigerate for use within a week or freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment