Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Flats of new parsley


What can't you do with parsley? For me this humble little herb is so much more than a garnish. It is a Vegetable with a capital V. And while these little babies in the greenhouse are lovely there is nothing I like better than to harvest from a tall, verdant stand of flat leaf parsley by mid summer. Parsley is believed to be a cleansing herb, purifying to the blood and liver. I'll believe it. A bite of something loaded with the cool, mildly bitter leaves can cure me of almost anything. It finds a way onto our dinner plates nearly every night. One of my favorite simple suppers from pregnancy is still a plate of hot orzo tossed with a big handful of chopped parsley and a few cups of raw spinach. The heat from the pasta just barely cooked the greens and I tossed in a bit of butter and shaved parmesan. Not really a recipe but it was so fresh and satisfying I'm sure the non-pregnant can appreciate it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment